Friday, July 30, 2010

What does the song ';The Sounds of Silence'; convey about the significance of effects of alienation/isolation?

Did you ever think this person's teacher is 52 years old and remembers this assignment?





Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk to you again...





This was one of my favorite songs of ALL time as I grew up.. why? Because it spoke to my own loneliness.





Fool, said I, you do not know... silence like a cancer grows...





For myself, not only did I take comfort in knowing that my own isolation was not a unique experience, it helped me express it, understand it, and know that someday I will be free from it.





Maybe that will help some... I hope.What does the song ';The Sounds of Silence'; convey about the significance of effects of alienation/isolation?
This doesn't answer the question you ask but adds to the theme and indirectly offers an answer by using another song. For some extra points (I hope), take in the following, lesser-known song written by Paul Simon. It belongs with ';The Sounds of Silence'; (and ';Richard Cory.';)





A Most Peculiar Man (P. Simon)





He was a most peculiar man.


That's what Mrs. Riordan said and she should know;


She lived upstairs from him


She said he was a most peculiar man.





He was a most peculiar man.


He lived all alone within a house,


Within a room, within himself,


A most peculiar man.





He had no friends, he seldom spoke


And no one in turn ever spoke to him,


'Cause he wasn't friendly and he didn't care


And he wasn't like them.


Oh, no! he was a most peculiar man.





He died last Saturday.


He turned on the gas and he went to sleep


With the windows closed so he'd never wake up


To his silent world and his tiny room;


And Mrs. Riordan says he has a brother somewhere


Who should be notified soon.


And all the people said, ';What a shame that he's dead,


But wasn't he a most peculiar man?';What does the song ';The Sounds of Silence'; convey about the significance of effects of alienation/isolation?
omg I had to do this question when I was in the 7th grade, I am 52 years old now!!


I recall something about how you can have sounds all around you but hear nothing when you are lonely...hey it has been too long sorry
People hearing without listening. It si fairly straightforward.


The words of the prophets,however poses the question ';Are we listening to the right people?'; Of course, it's Paul Simon so it could all just be about his Napolean Complex.


What did he do with Edie anyway, I loved her.
It basically means that it is a good thing to some and a punishment to others, depends upon how you look at it and what generation you are from.
  • printer cartridge
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment